In the Cairns region, Cane toads are a frequent cause of illness in dogs. Cane toads have poison glands in the skin on their back and when mouthed by dogs these glands produce a milky type venom. This poison is extremely toxic and irritating. Affected dogs drool and slobber copious amounts of frothy saliva due to the poison creating a burning sensation in the mouth. Cane toad poisoning can cause excessive salivation, vomiting, shaking, hyperactivity, seizures and death.
First aid treatment involves wiping the gums and tongue with a damp cloth continuously for over 10 minutes. Never wash the mouth using running water. If the dog starts to develop severe neurological signs such as rigidity, convulsions or difficulty breathing it’s recommended to seek immediate veterinary attention.
If your dog is affected by cane toad poisoning please contact the clinic on 4032 9999