Cane toads: ugly and dangerous for pets!
Cane Toads have venom secreting glands on their back: Cairns Pets are often poisoned when picking up or biting toads.
Cane toads are a frequent cause of illness in pets in Cairns, especially dogs. Toads have venom glands behind their head. Dogs are often poisoned when they bite or pick up toads, or even drink from a water bowl which cane toads have been sitting in.
Signs of Cane Toad Envenomation in Pets
Treatment for can toad poisoning relies on first aid: wash the dogs mouth out with gently flowing water to remove as much poison as possible.
If my pet is poisoned by a cane toad, when should I take it to the vet?
Cairns Vet Clinic offers 24 hour service for Cairns Pet emergencies. Pets poisoned by Cane toads are a common reason for calls.
This short film: Cane Toads, An Unnatural History documents some of the facts and stories around Cane Toads in Australia, with a strongly satirical approach.
If you suspect Cane Toad Poisoning in your pet please contact Cairns Vet on 07 4032 9999